Discover historic and biblical sites, explore the ‘Lost City’ of Petra and soak up magical desert landscapes as you immerse yourself in Jordan’s treasures.
Return flights from Heathrow with Royal Jordanian
- 7 nights in 4 and 5-star hotels
- 13meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch,5 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Day 1 UK/Amman
- Depart on your flight to Amman today, the capital of Jordan. On arrival, we’ll transfer you to your hotel.
- Day 2 Amman
- A full day of discovery begins with a morning tour of Amman. You’ll see many of its treasures, including a Roman amphitheatre, the magnificent citadel and it’s archaeological museum, which towers above downtown Amman, and the King Abdullah Mosque. In the afternoon we’re going to Jerash, one of the largest and best-preserved Roman cities in existence. Highlights here are the Temples of Artemis and Zeus, Hadrian’s Triumphal Arch and a street of columns a mile long. This evening we will head to a local restaurant for dinner where we will experience local cuisine.
- Day 3 Petra
- We’re heading south today, to Petra, and on the way we’ll visit many interesting sites. First stop isMount Nebo, an elevated ridge that rises more than 700 metres above sea level and is cited in the Hebrew Bible as the point from which Moses saw the promised land. As you stand on this revered spot, you can take in panoramic views of the Holy Land and the valley of the River Jordan. We’ll then head to Madaba, to visit St George’sChurch, the home of the Mosaic Map. This treasure of early Christianitydates back to the 6th century and is the oldest map of Palestine that exists today. A further highlight of our journey is the ancient fortress of Shobak. This is one of the largest and most impregnable of the chain of forts built by the Crusaders and is an impressive example of architectural military genius. Every stronghold was built to be a days journey from its neighbour, and at night, beacons were lit to signal to Jerusalem that each was safe.The rose-red city of Petra is our final destination, and accommodation here is a hotel built in and around a traditional Jordanian Village. If you cannot wait to see Petra, we offer the opportunity to view the Treasury lit by candles this evening.
- Day 4 Petra
- Today’s the day you will get to explore Petra on a guided walking tour. This extraordinary city carved into the sandstone is concealed beyond a long, narrow gorge the Siq and your Local Guide will lead you through this corridor of rock. Get ready for your first glimpse of the magnificent Treasury building in the daylight, it will not disappoint. There will be the opportunity for you to explore the area at leisure before returning to the hotel. This evening why not join our optional excursion which offers a dinner with a difference. We’ll head to a restaurant where we’ll actually work alongside the chefs as they create typical Jordanian dishes, eating what we have prepared.
- Day 5 Wadi Rum
- Start the day with a visit to Siq al-Barid, a northern suburb of Petra known as ‘Little Petra’. Here you’ll see houses, temples and staircases all carved out of rock and hidden away in the centre of a mountain. We thenhead to the desert of Wadi Rum, home to the nomadic Bedouin people and immortalised in the 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia.With sand dunes andsandstone rock formations of all shapes, sizes and colours, this magical landscape is sure to leave a lasting impression. You’ll stay tonight in the heart of Wadi Rum, where your hotel is in the guise of a Bedouin camp, and you will stay in your own Bedouin-style tent. If you have chosen to upgrade, your‘Martian dome’ comes complete withspectacular views of the star-strewn sky, which you can take infrom your bed. Once you’ve settled in, enjoy an included dinner of traditional dishes and afterwards, maybe join an optional star-gazing excursion in the company of an expert guide who can tell you about the formations you will see in the clear desert skies.
- Day 6 Dead Sea
- Your journey continues today as you head towards another famous destination, the Dead Sea. This is the lowest spot on earth, and as you stay here for two nights in a hotel right on its shores, you’ll have the chance to experience its unique waters, renowned for their buoyancy and therapeutic qualities.
- Day 7 Dead Sea
- You can spend today atleisure, or you might choose to join an optional excursion to the nearby River Jordan and the biblical site of the baptism of Jesus.
- Day 8 Dead Sea/Amman/UK
- This morningwe will transfer you to Amman for your flight back to the UK.