If you want to discover the real Costa Rica, this is the tour for you. It’s packed full of unforgettable experiences and visits the stunning Caribbean coast.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- Use of an airport lounge in the UK
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels &jungle lodgesplus 1nightin flight
- 14 meals: 7breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Welcome drink
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Day 1 UK to San Jos
- Today you will fly to San Jos, the capital of Costa Rica.
- Day 2 Puerto Viejo de Limon
- Our adventure begins as we travel to Puerto Viejo de Limon, a beach resort on the Caribbean coast. A popular spot for surfers, it boasts crystal-clear waters and stunning sandy beaches.
This afternoon we will visit Cahuita National Park, which was created to preserve the coral reef along its shores. Sea turtles nest in the protected marine area, and the reef is home to many different species of coral and fish. On land, brightly coloured birds including green ibises, keel-billed toucans and herons live in the forest, and you might spot mammals such as monkeys and pacas, roaming amongst the tropical plants.
- Day 3 Puerto Viejo de Limon
- There’s a fascinating day in store, as we learn about the indigenous Bribri people of Costa Rica and get an insight into their culture and traditions. We’ll travel to the Bribri Indigenous Territory, located in the tropical rainforest of Talamanca. A Local Guide will meet us in the village of Bamb, and we’ll step aboard dugout canoes for an exciting journey along the spectacular Yorkn River. After about an hour we’ll arrive in the village of Yorkn, and will walk to the rural lodge of Stibrawpa, passing organic cacao and banana plantations on the way. There will be a snack waiting for us when we arrive, then we’ll visit the Tskui River and hanging bridge, where you can take a dip in the refreshing water if you wish.
Back at Stibrawpa, we’ll be served a Bribri-style lunch and our hosts will tell us about the origins of the lodge. We’ll also learn how chocolate is traditionally produced, and taste organic bananas dipped in a freshly made chocolate sauce. After lunch we’ll find out more about local life, as we’re shown how to use a traditional bow and arrow. We’ll also learn how to weave the leaves used to tile the roofs of Bribri houses.
As our day of unforgettable experiences comes to an end, we will return to Bamb by canoe and then head back to the hotel.
- Day 4 Tortuguero National Park
- We’ve an early start today as we set off for Tortuguero National Park. We’ll stop at a restaurant for breakfast, and as there are no roads into Tortuguero, the final part of our journey will be by boat. We’ll arrive at our hotel in time for lunch, and will visit Tortuguero Village to find out about the local community this afternoon. We’ll also visit the Caribbean Conservation Center to discover more about the sea turtles that nest on the nearby beaches.
- Day 5 Tortuguero National Park
- We’ll explore Tortuguero National Park on two guided boat tours today. This beautiful region is one of Costa Rica’s most important ecological sites and a renowned nesting site for sea turtles. Behind a beach-fringed coastline, a network of freshwater channels cuts through the dense jungle and is home to a variety of other wildlife, including monkeys, river otters, crocodiles, caimans and many species of bird.
Keep your eyes peeled for sightings as you cruise the waterways, canals and swamps and then explore some of the trails on foot. Your guide is on hand to answer questions about the history and wildlife of the park and will do their best to help you spot as many different species as possible.
- Day 6 Muelle de San Carlos
- After breakfast we leave Tortuguero by boat and then drive to the village of Muelle de San Carlos. We’ll stop at a restaurant for lunch on the way, and then visit ‘Mi Cafecito Coffee Tour’ in the afternoon. During our tour of this community coffee plantation, we will gain an insight into the lives Costa Rica’s coffee producers. There will also be an opportunity to sample the coffee and purchase some to take home as a souvenir.
When we arrive in Muelle de San Carlos, the rest of the day will be free for you to relax and enjoy the facilities at the hotel. You could take a dip in the swimming pool or perhaps enjoy a drink with your travelling companions.
- Day 7 Muelle de San Carlos
- If you want to discover Costa Rica’s rainforest canopy, we’ve lined up two fantastic optional excursions for today. The not-so-good news is you can only choose one as they both take place at the same time!
The first option is a zip-line adventure in La Fortuna. Experience a rush of adrenaline as you fly through the rainforest canopy from platforms suspended in the treetops. You’ll see the impressive Canyon of the Arenal River and get a unique view of the rainforest’s extraordinary flora and fauna. Be sure to keep a look out for wildlife too, monkeys, toucans, hummingbirds and sloths all reside in this part of the forest.
If you prefer to admire the rainforest at a slower pace, our second option is a visit to the Hanging Bridges of Arenal. Explore the rainforest on a walking trail which crosses no less than 15 bridges,
six of which are hanging in the rainforest canopy, offering a spectacular view of the scenery below. Its an incredible experience, with highlights including 98-metre-long Tyra Bridge and Waterfall Bridge which is suspended 60 metres in the air. Keep your eyes peeled as you walk, more than 250 species of bird live in this rainforest reserve along with a vast array of reptiles, mammals and insects.
- Day 8 Muelle de San Carlos to UK
- After breakfast we will transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.
- Day 9 UK
- You will arrive in the UK today.Please note that the itinerary for 2020 will differ slightly from that shown here. On day 3, there will be no canoe ride to the Bribri people, the rest of the experience will remain the same. Additionaly on day 3, we will visit the wonderful Rio Dos Aguas waterfall.