Experience the magnificence of the Taj Mahal and the Amber Fort before you search for tigers in Ranthambore and discover the sacred River Ganges.
Just You Tour Manager as your host
Return flights from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic
Use of an airport lounge in the UK
11 nights in 4 and 5-star hotels, plus 1 night in flight
25 meals: 11 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 11 dinners
Overseas transfers & other transportation
Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Day 1 UK to Delhi
- You’ll fly to Delhi today, arriving on day 2.
- Day 2 New Delhi
- New Delhi was created by the British as India’s capital in 1911. We include a tour today which calls at Qutub Minar. The lifestyle in New Delhi is in stark contrast to that of Old Delhi and this becomes apparent as we drive through the diplomatic quarter. Opulent architecture lines the streets, with the official residence of the President and the Indian Gate as its crowning glory. Compare your experiences of the day and get to know your fellow travellers over dinner this evening.
- Day 3 Khajuraho
- Ourexploration ofIndia begins as we travel from Delhi to the ancient city of Khajuraho, home toworld-famous temples, built during the Chandella dynasty.
This evening you have the opportunity to watch an optional Kandariya classical dance show.
- Day 4 Agra
- After an early breakfast, we’llvisit theKhajuraho temples.Said to have been built in the 10th and 11th centuries, these beautiful templesare adorned with intricately carved sculptures of nymphs, musicians and erotic figures.
We’ll then drive to the station in Jhansi and board a train for thescenic journey to Agra.
- Day 5 Agra
- Thismorningwe head to the UNESCO-listed Agra Fort. This powerful fortress was the imperial city of the Mogul rulers and within its walls stand spectacular palaces and courtyards.
Later, we’ll visit Mehtab Bagh, a centuries-old garden complex,on theopposite side of the river to the Taj Mahal. Be sure to remember your camera, as you’ll get a splendid view of theworld-famous monument from here.
Back at the hotel you’vetimeto relax before the Mohabbat Taj Show, a saga of love, creates a fitting finale to our day.
- Day 6 Ranthambore
- The Taj Mahal was built by Emperor Shan Jahan as a symbol of his love for his wife, and today’s visit at sunrise is sure to be a highlight of your holiday.
Later we’ll travel by coach to Bharatpur, pausing at the deserted city of Fatehpur Sikri on our way. Our journey continues by train to Sawai Madhopur, your gateway to Ranthambore National Park.
- Day 7 Ranthambore
- Ranthamboreis considered to be one of the best game reserves in India. We’ll experience the wildlife and look for the country’s famous tigers ontoday’searly morningsafari.Enjoy some time to relax at the hotel, thenjoin another included game drive this afternoon.
- Day 8 Jaipur
- You’ve another chance to go in search of wildlife and tigers on today’s optional early morning game drive.Breakfast will be served back at the hotel, and afterwardsyou can take a trip into a local village on a camel cart if you wish.
This afternoonwe take to the road once more and drive through memorable scenery to Jaipur.
- Day 9 Jaipur
- Jaipur is home to the magnificent Amber Fort. We visit in the early morning, when we can enjoy cooler temperatures, fewer people and softer light as we explore the inner and outer workings of the fortress and its surroundings. A traditional lunch will be served in majestic surroundings as we dine with the family connected to the 17th century Sankotra Haveli. This is a special experience as we savour exceptional cuisine, wear traditional dress and learn first hand the history of one of India’s most noted families. Jaipur is affectionately known as the ‘pink city’. The buildings here were painted pink by Maharaja’s decree to imitate the red sandstone architecture of Mughal cities. A highlight isthe City Palace,which we visit this afternoon.
- Day 10 Varanasi
- Today we take an early morning flight to Varanasi.
Situated on the banks of the sacred River Ganges, Varanasi is colourful, chaotic and one of Hinduism’s holiest cities. To get the most out of your time here, you need to experience the city with an open mind. Its principal attraction is the bathing Ghats that line the west bank of the Ganges, where Hindus bathe in the water to cleanse themselves of sin.
This evening we offer the opportunity to watch a traditional aarti ceremony, which involves an offering of light, food, water and flowers to the deities. It is considered a fundamental part of the Hindu faith.
- Day 11 Varanasi
- We rise before the sun this morning to sail along the Ganges and see devout Hindus bathing and praying beneath the rising sun. We head back to the hotel for breakfast before enjoying a short tour of Varanasi. This afternoon we visit the ruined city of Sarnath. This is an important pilgrimage site for Buddhists as it was here that Buddha gave his first sermon.
- Day 12 Delhi
- After flying back to India’s capital thismorning, we’ll head to Old Delhi for a tour.Established in the 17th century and today surrounded by the remains of the city walls, Old Delhi epitomises stereotypical India. Within its labyrinth of alleyways, and beneath simply constructed shelters, families raise their children and earn a living. Temples and mosques fill every available space and vibrant bazaars and tempting food stalls flood the narrow lanes with colour and heady scents. You’ll also see Raj Ghat, the cremation grounds of Mahatma Gandhiand Humayun’s Tomb.
Join your fellow travellers for a farewell dinner this evening.
- Day 13 Delhi to UK
- We’ll transfer to the airport for our return flight to the UK.Please note that the itinerary for 2020 will differ slightly from that shown here. Yu’ll have the opportunity to try Laal Mass whilst in Ranthambore on day 7. Laal Maas is a traditional curry prepared in a sauce of yogurt and spices – a favourite dish amongst royalty. Also whilst in Jaipur on day 9 you will also be served a glass of Lassi, a blend of water, yogurt, spices and sometimes fruit. The drink, traditionally served in earthen pots to add an unique aroma, is topped with a thick layer of malai leaving you refreshed and surprisingly full!